Sunday, February 14, 2010

good friends are hard to find

Over the years I've learned that some people don't value friendship as much as others. Perhaps it's not that they don't value it, but they don't put as much effort into it. I fully believe that if you want to hang out with someone you will make time for them, regardless of what else you have going on in your life. I say that from experience of working a full time job, taking full time graduate school classes, running marathons on a regular basis, and working part time at the gym to maintain my free gym membership. On top of that, my good friends or best friends are all located over three thousand miles away so hanging out with them takes a lot more time and planning than it normally would if they were in the same vicinity.

However, I think it's worth it to put in the effort to see them and hang out with them and live life together. I call my friends when I have time and cell phone minutes and try to keep in touch. I'm learning who are my true friends and who was just my friend out of convenience or close proximity. Those are the friends I am trying to invest in and put more effort into the relationship. The other people, I still would hang out with if I had time, but they aren't the first people I'll call when I'm going home.

For awhile I wished that more people would put the same value on friendship as I do and my best friends/good friends do. Now I'm thinking that it's okay that some people don't want to be good friends with me, that's fine. It just gives me more time for those who reciprocate my attempts at friendship and do return my phone calls and go out of their way to meet up or pick me up when I'm home. Those are the people I would consider my closer/good/best friends. Those are the people I will try to keep in touch with no matter where I am or what I'm doing. When I come home (because home will always be California), those are the people I look forward to seeing and catching up with if I haven't seen them for awhile.

I'm so glad that God has blessed me with the good friends I have. I won't take it for granted or expect so much of other people who are more of acquaintances. I appreciate who I have back home more after living in a place where I've felt so lonely. I can't wait till I start driving home and will live among them and see them more regularly again.

- run for life

No comments: