Saturday, May 10, 2008

ramblings/brief update

I wonder sometimes if I trust too much. Con: I end up getting burned a lot because I expect that people will keep their word. Pro: I have never been much of a worry wart. People are always amazed when I mention things I've done or what I am planning to do. I tend to think the best about people. I believe there is good in everyone. I befriend anyone who wants to be my friend and I always stick by my friends. I would say that I can go anywhere and get along fine - part of that is knowing where I can and can't go at certain times of the day or what to wear and how to act while I am there.

I was sorting through free t-shirts and old clothes, deciding what to donate and what to keep. I took pictures of all the fronts and backs of the shirts. I thought it was funny that I could follow my life through free t-shirts from all of the events I've done, volunteered at, schools I've gone to, and races I've run. If anyone who knew me saw the bag of stuff I was donating, they would know right away that they were my old clothes. I put tons of old Cal Poly, San Leandro High, gymnastics, running, sports, and other random shirts into the large garbage bags we will take to the Salvation Army/Goodwill.

I've been home for about a week, mostly hanging out with my half-brother's family - going to the Oakland Zoo, SF, and other places you can only go to in the bay. They flew out of SFO yesterday, so I will have more time now. I went to a few A's games with friends and have more planned. I love California. The weather is perfect for running, it's not too hot, nor too cold. There are hills for me to run and places for me to bike and cross train. Catching up with friends from high school and college has been wonderful. So much has happened since then in all of our lives. Seeing my cousins' children again reminds me that time flies, especially since the last time I saw them, they were babies and couldn't even hold their heads up themselves. Now they are talking and coming up with their own ideas. As great as it is to hang out with family and friends, I have only hung out with one friend who is a Christian. It's difficult to maintain a clear focus without support from others.

Right now I am nearing the quarter of a century mark. As I look around me, it seems like some people have given up big goals or dreams in exchange for the daily grind. I sometimes feel like I've fallen into that pattern myself as I go to school day after day or create my own routine. Luckily God's plan doesn't seem to have me in a rut. When I focus on Him and His sacrifice, I am astounded at everything around me. The calming waters of the lake or the ocean, the beauty of the plants and leaves dangling from branches shading the ground, smiles on people's faces as I pass them on my runs saying 'good morning' or an encouraging word or two to them. I am so thankful for what I have been given and that He is in control of my life. I do wonder what is in store for me, especially because I need a job to support myself, but I know that whatever it is, it's better than I could have ever imagined.

Now to bike to Alameda with one of my best friends. Tucker's here I come! Oh how I have missed thee. [Tucker's is an ice cream parlor in Alameda around the corner from the gym where I did gymnastics. When we won meets our coach would buy our whole team ice cream.]

-run for life friends

No comments: