Monday, November 3, 2008

the eve

Some days I wonder, what happened to decency?  I never was a huge fan of Halloween because I'm afraid of everything related to creepy-ness and being scared.  I did like the candy and it was nice that we got to visit the neighbors to get it (and now I like that kids are getting exercise).  Granted the last time I went trick-o-treating was 2006 (you thought I was going to say something like 8th grade huh?).  I never fully understood the holiday and don't really celebrate it per se, but here I am to gripe about it.

Now Halloween has morphed into yet another excuse for females to traipse around scantily clad in the cold while men gawk and bring their video cameras (literally my friend was telling me that there was a 40-ish year old guy with his video camera out on Halloween, I can only assume he was making a free 'girls gone wild' dvd for himself).

As I say this, I think of the varying standards for different parts of the world as well as different parts of the country.  I understand different attire is accepted in various places, but wearing underwear in public negates the term "under" wear, maybe it should just be called "wear" now.  We've lost the under part I guess.

On another note, yet somewhat related-today's society is looking for a 'quick fix' or short term enjoyment; in other words: lust rather than love.  People think that love is a feeling, when it is more than that.  It is a commitment, something that must be worked for, not just found.  When love fades (and I'm told it will and it does), it must be rekindled-more than just once or twice during a person's married life.  What happened to "until death do us part"?  At least that used to hold true in the old days.  Don't say it unless you mean it!  I wish that we didn't have to sign papers and have 5 million witnesses.  What happened to the good old days (I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I've read books) when a man's word was his contract?  When you could 'shake on it' and it would stand up in court?

I know I'm just annoyed because I do wear clothes and I get annoyed because the girls not wearing any get more attention.  I have to keep telling myself that I don't want that kind of attention.  I keep telling myself that God has something/someone planned for me, someone worth waiting for.  Someone that will appreciate that I don't "flaunt it because I got it" or "shake what yo mamma gave ya" for the world to see.  God's plan is the perfect plan.  Anything worth anything is worth trusting in Him and waiting for.

-run for life

No comments: