Monday, December 8, 2008

physically ill..again

This weekend was rough.  I am a food lover and I was only able to keep down 6 crackers and a yogurt drink on Saturday (the yogurt was really hard to hold, apparently dairy isn't so great for you when you're nauseated).  Saturday I did my homework, went to work, and then to the CG Christmas party.  It would have been much more enjoyable if I could have eaten.  I knew I shouldn't have gone.  Honestly, part of me wanted to be a kid again and have a 'mom' to tell me what to take and what to eat when I'm sick.  Weird, I know.  I haven't had that for over 7 years now.

I woke up Sunday with a pounding headache, still feeling fatigued, queasy and overall quite ill.  I fell back asleep, drank about a 1/2 cup of chicken noodle soup Kelly brought up for me, ate some crackers, and got up to go to work.  I didn't even try to eat again until after I was done.  I ate a bag of Ruffles (with ridges of course).  Luckily that stayed down and I got home and went to sleep.

This morning I felt a little better but I woke up with a start at 9AM.  My alarm had been set for earlier... I guess I just slept straight through it.  I was lucky that my outpatient wasn't scheduled until 10AM so I got there just as they did (9:35AM).  I still have a headache but today I was able to eat some spaghetti O's and ice cream after work.  I had a little broth at work, but nothing else.  I worked straight through lunch so I wouldn't have to stay as late (and I felt nauseous anyway).

I'm praying (and taking more cold medicine) that I will get better soon.  It feels like someone is squeezing my head right now and punching me in the lungs.  It was really hard to breathe the last two nights.  I had to use my inhaler it was so hard to breathe (good thing I have health insurance and got one!).  I hope my body feels better soon.  It's hard to concentrate or get anything done when you are preoccupied with not vomiting the contents of your stomach (even if it's only HCl and other gastric juices).

Through all the physical aliments, it's important as my friend Dave wrote to me "sickness cannot break your spirit because your joy in the Lord cannot be broken!  You will rejoice even in sickness!"  Kelly reminded me of 2 Cor 1 "We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even our life.  Indeed in our hearts we felt the sentence of death.  But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead.  He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us.  On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, as you help us by your prayers."  At least that's what I got from it... ha ha.  I'm still congested and groggy/sick.  I think that's what she was reading from, but I'm not quite sure.

Just because our physical bodies are ill-our spiritual lives do not need to be!  Our minds can be as sharp as ever and our sword ready to attack our enemies.  They can use the illnesses and pain to poke at your weaknesses and try to undermine the truth.  Continue fighting the good fight, focus on Him, and press on friends.

- run for life

No comments: