Saturday, November 14, 2009

a whole new world

I forgot how much I love reading. To become lost in another world, no worries of your own. I forgot I read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (number/year 7) and borrowed it from a co-worker. I began reading only to discover I had already read it a few chapters in. (I wondered why it seemed so familiar when I started.) Reading it anyway, I decided to re-read through the series, currently reading book 6 - the Half Blood Prince.

Don't worry, I won't go into detail about Harry Potter. Mostly I miss reading. Transporting yourself out of the real world into a fantasy land that no one can corrupt. It reminds me of the days when television was more wholesome. Before movies and books began to be full of crude humor, desensitizing the public to atrocities that should not happen. Selfish human beings playing on others insecurities and feelings to make money.

I used to read all the time. I know it's a weakness-the love of reading. Curiosity like mine. When I begin a book, I have a hard time putting it down until I'm finished. When I read the Harry Potter series I finished 1-6 in less than a week. I began reading The Kite Runner on the bus one morning on the way to school and on the way back I read some more. Once I got past chapter 5 on the bus, I had to continue reading. I needed to know what was going to happen. I finished the book the same night. The Lord of the Rings is quite a large trio of books, but I finished those just as quickly prior to the movies on the big screen. Less than 2 days to finish all 3 of them. And I wondered why I was voted 'biggest book worm' in the 8th grade polls. Oh well. At least reading is a beneficial thing, albeit I didn't think it was great to be known for being a 'book worm' at the time. It's interesting to see how we've grown and changed over time as we look back on the past. The past helps to shape our future, our present choices will stay with us and our future awaits us. Here's to living in the present so that the future shall be bright.

- run for life

No comments: