Thursday, April 10, 2008

the street

Top 10 Most Dangerous Cities in the United States
Top 25 Safest / Top 25 Most Dangerous Cities

Home sweet home. I consider myself street smart. I know how to roll with it. I'm Asian so I'm a minority, but I am the "model minority" so I can rock the majority. I don't fear man in that way. I fear God, I know that whatever happens, God will be with me and that He is my guide and strength. I try not to "brag" about where I'm from. When people "brag" about Richmond, Virginia... I just don't see it. I don't feel unsafe, I don't see as much crime or as many homeless people as in Oakland, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. Homeless people don't even scare me, why would they? They've fallen on hard times, they're still people! The population in Richmond, VA is less than half the size of Oakland, CA.

I guess I just get frustrated when people try to act hard, like they know what it's like to live in the city. Friends dropping out of school, in car accidents for drunk driving, that happens every where. If you don't know people who sell cocaine, weed, or other drugs, why talk about it as if you do? Are you proud that sin is rampant throughout a particular area? I am glad I was born in Oakland, I am glad I grew up in San Leandro on the edge and did not see as much as I could have deep in East Oakland. I am not proud that there are so many lost people who don't know God and hurt others with their sinful deeds. My girls in my youth group at home saw when a girl was shot 5 times in the back in front of my high school, they saw the boy shoot himself in the head less than a mile from my house. My dad was mad that home owner's insurance doesn't cover bullet holes from drive by shootings since there are 3 in the house. Walking across the elementary school playground at night isn't safe if you're a girl by yourself, you could get raped and killed - the same thing with sleeping over at a friend's house, that's why I was never allowed to. Leaving a bar at night about a mile from my house could result in you getting shot in the back of the head. That's NOT cool, it's not exciting. Why gloat?

God please help all the people who are affected by all the crime in every city regardless of how much there is or how many murders there are. God please help those who are afraid. Please show them that they can be cautious, but still go where they need to go or want to go without fear because You are with them. God You are sovereign over all. I thank You for protecting me and please God, help me to be more like You. Thank You for showing me this in my life, that I do not have to say anything Lord, that You know what it is like. Thank You for showing me I need to be more humble in this area, I need Your help. Please help me to hold my tongue when I come across people who are sheltered or don't truly understand. Thank You for making me the way I am so that I can relate to urban people and give glory to You through it all. God please keep my friends safe, please keep everyone safe who is innocent and doesn't yet know You. Please Lord, reveal Yourself to them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.