Monday, June 30, 2008

sparks

My stomach was full, the weather tepid and humid. Sweat dripped into my eyes as I ran through the trees. I saw a spark. I blinked, brushing the sweat from my eyes. I glanced around to see if anyone was smoking near by. Another small streak of light whizzed by in my peripheral vision. I rubbed my eyes. Maybe I needed them checked.

Rounding the corner by the golf course I sped up. The two small bridges beneath my feet made a clopping sound as I trod across and down the path. Making my way around the course and back toward the park I saw a another spark. Fear flitted through my thoughts. Flames and images of the wildfires roared to the forefront of my mind as I saw more sparks light up and disappear.

There were definitely sparks in the forest at night. I had seen lightning bugs/fireflies for the first time.

-run for life

1 comment:

anna said...

i saw fireflies for the first time too a week ago in pittsburgh. aren't they beautiful!!!