Thursday, October 11, 2007

less is more

I feel so accomplished after I exercise. Even though I just walked a loop around the parking lot to a trail behind the hospital twice and up and down 4 flights of stairs 5x, I feel so much better. The loop is about 2000 steps and there is probably an average of 12 steps per set and there are 4 flights x 2 sets each which is 8 sets total x 5 = 40 sets x 12 steps = 480 steps I walked up and 480 steps I walked down. That's not too bad. I found out that my pedometer doesn't count steps correctly when you do high-knees up stairs but oh well. I'm still trying to get an average of 10k or more steps a day. I exercised/walked for about 40 minutes. That's not so bad. I can feel my leg muscles twitching and I should probably stretch soon.

I have decided to cut down on my portions. I like eating all I can eat at the hospital, but the food is so fatty and I really don't need to eat as much as I do. My eyes are bigger than my stomach as they say. I feel bad if I waste food too, so I need to take smaller portions and not pile it up on my plate. At least I'm only taking one plate now though. I need to eat more salads at lunch too. Less cobbler, more vegetables! I think I can lose 5# by Christmas, that'd mean I would be 140#, and my BMI would still be 24. At least i wouldn't be 145 and wondering how the heck I gained so much weight. Eventually I should try to get down to 135 and even 130, if I run more and eat less I should be able to do that. When I say eat less, and you think "what the heck?" Don't worry, I am not going to eat nothing, I currently eat more than anyone I know here in Virginia. I think I eat more than all the guys I know over here. I need to cut back! California, being able to bike to school and work and every where, run whenever I needed, between classes and what not has spoiled me. I need to get used to not having big breaks and having to wear nicer clothes to the hospital and not wearing running shoes or flip flops all the time. This sucks!

I bounce on the trampoline for 20+ - 30+ minutes instead of running sometimes. I get just as sweaty and my heart is pounding and I get really thirsty... so I think it's a pretty good workout. When the kids are bouncing with me, it's even harder because they steal my bounce and they stop and go and I just keep on jumping/running on the trampoline.

Well, I'm still at the hospital and will be here until 9-ish pm. Great. I think I will read some of the book I got for free, "Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye." Sometimes I think I did, or am currently, but God has plans I don't know about waiting for me. I am excited to see what He's got in store. Farewell for now friends.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hola Jill! what a coincidink, i'm trying to eat less/healthier & work out more, too. I went to PT with the army peoples on Wed & Fri last week; yups, that means woke up @ 5a.m. same thing we did in ROTC (push-ups, sit-ups, run ~2 miles) except I'm in even worse shape, boo. could barely keep up with those guys. but at least I'm more motivated now to try to keep working out on my own. the loop around the golf course is pretty, a perfect place to do prayer wogs.
the D Fac (Dining Facility; cheapest place to eat here) is all-you-can-eat & they have really good pie, cake, cheesecake, ice cream, & cookies most of the time, but I try to eat healthy cuz I think of you when I eat (& that's a lot ;-)!