Wednesday, January 2, 2008

new year

New year; same me. I used to think the stroke of midnight would bring about some great change within me, but it doesn't. I feel the same, think the same, and act the same. I haven't made a resolution since the year I resolved not to make new years resolutions in high school. I have many goals, but those I make constantly throughout the year to improve and work on the person God has created me to be. It is ridiculous to wait until 365 days have passed to finally start "fresh." I always have room for improvement, I don't need to wait until the month I always have to cross out the year on my papers because I wrote the past year for the date instead of the current one. Each day itself is a day to make up my mind when I wake up that I am going to follow and pursue my Savior. Each day I need to renew my faith and strength in the Lord.

I thought to myself the other day: when someone says "so-and-so dropped the ball" - it's a bad thing. So, why is it that we watch the ball drop within the first seconds of the new year every year? It's like we're setting ourselves up for failure. I've never liked watching the ball drop, crazy parties, or scantily clad women in stiletto heels. It seems like it is an excuse to throw a party and for many people I know, it's like Halloween: wearing little to nothing and going out to get wasted. I cannot lose control of myself to another "god" such as alcohol, peer pressure, society, and expectations of others because I have already given God control of my life. There is a reason to celebrate every day, of course my version of festivities includes fellowship, sports, outdoor activities, hanging out, eating, and sharing with one another. Just knowing that God has planned each breath and each day for me fills me with joy. I get excited by nature and His splendor displayed throughout all the days of my life.

What am I hoping for? I hope that I am correctly following the path that God has set me on. I dream of the day when I will find/meet my future husband and eventually get married and have children. I hope that I will be a good mother. I hope that I can be an example to others around me and that I will be an encouragement to them in their faith journeys. I pray that the relationships I make will bring honor and glory to His name. I pray that God will use me to plant seeds, to glorify Him, and for His harvest. I pray that God's will be mine and that His will be done.

No comments: