Monday, December 24, 2007

2007 word of the year: faith

It's always interesting to see how the year panned out and to reflect upon it once it is near completion. When I think of years, being a recent graduate I think in terms of school years.

So this past year I began my final year of my undergraduate career. I tried to work less, but still break even - that my friends is a daunting task. I shared my room and tutored Pre-Calculus/Calculus coupled with the occasional babysitting. I cut back even more on spending and still try to purchase only what is necessary. My goal in working less was to spend more time with my friends before I moved on with my life and make new friends. I believe I accomplished that through Front Porch events and other extra curricular activities such as Nutrition College Bowl 5 and Wildflower Committee.

I went to Guatemala for a Mission Trip through Students International; which was an answer to my prayers. It was a reminder from God that He was calling me to the field of nutrition and that many could be reached through me because food is universal. Just as Jesus is the bread of life - no one can do without.

I wasn't planning on doing a dietetic internship because I want to do sports nutrition and I need to get my master's degree, but I prayed and applied allowing God to open and close doors on my behalf. I was accepted into Virginia State University the same day the VT shootings occurred. My father was against it, even though Blacksburg is actually really far away. I feel safer here in Virginia than at home [there are 3 new bullet holes in the house at home from a drive by]. I went to camp and coordinated STEP and lc'ed high school camp again. I love those kids so much. It is a challenge to be a Christian role model, living your life set apart for Him and still be perceived as “cool” to 14-18 year olds. Luckily, I don’t care about being "cool" and just try to accomplish the first part and oddly enough, the rest follows. I think people respect you more when you have a strong belief or faith and actually know how to defend it, truthfully state that you don't know all the answers, and are willing to apologize and/or admit when you're wrong [which happens a lot because I make tons of mistakes!].

August rolled around and I didn’t know where or who I was going to live with or how I was going to be able to afford housing/food/utilities. I didn't know a single person in the entire state of Virginia.  I didn't know what to expect.   I tried to look for housing in Farmville where most of my rotations are, but Farmville doesn’t really show up [even on google] for housing. So, I posted an add on Craigslist and got tons of replies - some a little more sketch than others. Fortunately for me, God was definitely at work in this area of my life too and provided a family situation which has worked out splendidly. Now I attend KingsWay Community Church with them in Midlothian, Virginia.

A week before I was scheduled to start my road trip I went down to SLO and visited friends there, mentioned my trip to my friend Melissa… who ended up going with me! So, another prayer answered. God was providing for me in every aspect of my life. I was thrilled and everything worked out really well, the trip was amazing (20 states, 8 ball parks, jumping pictures galore), I have a great place to live, a new church family, and a place to stay in Farmville during my rotations there. Even through being sick for 7-8 weeks here, despising hospitals [and working in them 40 hours a week], and having a police officer hit my car, God saw me through it all. I love having a feeling of joy and assurance of knowing I will be taken care of and that someone loves me. It gives me a confidence and light that no one can extinguish.

Every day I've noticed something new that fills me with wonder and amazement. I am so in awe of everything He has made from the leaves turning brilliant firey red, orange, yellow, and brown to the spider on the sill outside my window. The Virginian culture is like being in another country, but luckily God created me with a unique ability to roll with it and fit in where ever He leads me.

I love listening for His voice in the chaos of the world and having a sense of peace as I wade through life, doing my best to follow the plans He has for me. I couldn’t have planned it better, I know that God is providing and I will continue to trust in Him and allow Him to lead me where ever He wants me to go. I know He answers prayers, but I am still astounded and amazed at how He has been answering all of my prayers, even the quick, short ones I mutter under my breath as I run through the trees.

I look forward to 2008 with anticipation. I know that my goals are becoming more in line with God’s and I am trying my hardest to listen to Him and be available for Him to use me in whatever capacity He sees fit. That is how I want to live my life; that is how I want to be remembered – a faithful servant of Christ in all aspects of life. Thank You God for 2007, thank You for my life.

No comments: