Friday, March 26, 2010

stay warm

I usually keep a bag in Lazarus with blankets and small pillows for the random overnight in the car. I was super tuckered out after staying at work again on Tuesday night after presentations for health promotion class so when I got home, I took a shower and took a nap... or what I thought was going to be a nap. I didn't set my alarm because I figured I'd get up after a couple hours. I laid my head on my pillow around 4:30pm... and heard creaking overhead. I looked at my watch and it was 6:30... AM! I jumped up with a start and threw running clothes and a sweatshirt into my Arc'teryx and grabbed my backpack with my homework in it.

I ran up stairs and ate my fiber one with soy milk, went to the bathroom and headed to work. I got in around 7:15AM and went to work. I was hoping to get out so I could speak at the YMCA at 1PM. Luckily the census is down at the hospital and I was able to finish all my patients by 11AM and eat a snack before heading out to the Y. When I got there everyone was serving up food and eating. I joined in and the talk went well, there were lots of questions, but it was fun. Afterward I changed into more comfortable pants and hit the road to Knoxville.

I was getting tired early on the drive and ended up at the first Tennessee rest stop along 81 South from Virgina. I slept there... but it was freezing. Of course I had no blankets and I curled up in my sweatshirt with my jacket over me and was wearing all the pants I brought with me. It was still cold. I woke up at 8AM and went to the bathroom and got ready to hit the road again. I'm sitting in the visitor's center - just got a call from the person I'm supposed to couch surf with tonight and tomorrow night (so I have a place to stay at least that's inside and warm!).

Time to head out to another coffee shop and perhaps scrounge up some food for lunch/dinner. I should have brought more but I assumed I was going to an expo on Friday... but it turns out it's only tomorrow. Lame. Well, the forecast is showing rain Sunday so it'll be a cold run. At least it'll be warm in Lazarus on the drive back to Virginia. Note to self: don't forget the Girl Scout motto-"Be Prepared." Duh. Keep blankets in your car.

- run for life

No comments: